Patty Hanks Shelton School of Nursing develops nurses and other healthcare providers through education enlightened by Christian principles to lead, serve and influence the holistic needs of a complex global society.
In 1924, the West Texas Baptist Sanitarium was opened with the combined efforts of Dr. Millard Jenkins, pastor of First Baptist Church, and Dr. Jefferson D. Sandefer, president of Simmons College (Hardin-Simmons University). During the Great Depression, the hospital became known as Hendrick Memorial Hospital, and the school was named Hendrick Memorial Hospital School of Nursing. The school’s name was changed to Mary Meeks School of Nursing in 1970. The name was changed again in 1981 to Abilene Intercollegiate School of Nursing, when 3 faith-based universities in Abilene and Hendrick Medical Center came together to create a consortium. In 2005, the name was changed again to Patty Hanks Shelton School of Nursing.